21.3.17

DIY mudcloth pillow

For months I have been drooling over mudcloth pillow cases. The only problem is that they are super expensive, which is understandable since they are imported from Africa. Eventually I would love a genuine one since Africa holds a special place in my husband's heart, but for now I decided to make my own. This diy is my kind of diy for two reasons: (1) cheap, and (2) easy. 

I was so impressed with how my first one turned out, I decided to make another one and share the steps I took so you can make your own too!

Supplies:
- a plain pillow case (I bought mine from Ikea.)
- scissors
- fabric marker
- pencil
- paper
- cardboard
Step one:

Before you start drawing on your pillow case, I highly recommend doing some practice sketches on some paper just to get a feel for the pen and the style of pattern that you want. I experimented quite a bit until I decided on the patterns. 

Step Two:

Once you've found the pattern you like, cut a 2x4 (roughly) piece of paper. This will become your template that you will trace and repeat on the entire pillow. You will also need to cut a piece of cardboard the exact same size to prevent the marker from bleeding through. 

Step three:

Begin with the zipper of the pillowcase facing you. Insert the template in the bottom corner, as close to the seams as possible. Once you are happy with the placement, start tracing the pattern onto the pillowcase. 

Tip: I would recommend giving your pillow case a quick iron to flatten out the folds. I didn't do this, and it was fine, but it definitely would have made the process a little easier. 

Step four:

Continue to slide the template up, making sure the bottom of the template lines up with the top of the pattern already drawn. 

Step five:

Once you finish the first row, repeat steps three and four until the entire pillow case is covered. Don't worry if the lines aren't perfectly straight or symmetrical. I find it actually adds to the overall look when there are a few kinks and quirks.

And there you have it! You're very own mudcloth pillow at the fraction of the cost! I am so happy with how these pillows turned out! I plan on making a few more in the future, possibly in black! I hope this diy was helpful! If you try it out be sure to tag me on Instagram (@these.days.blog) so I can see all your lovely creations! 

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© These are the days. Design by Fearne.