15.4.16

WEANED

Back in February, breastfeeding was getting more and more difficult with Calvin. If I nursed him during the day he would constantly bite. No matter how many times I pulled him off and told him firmly "No", he wouldn't stop. The only time that I could get a full feed in was right before he went down for bed, or if he woke up in the night for a comfort feed. It was getting really frustrating, and I was no longer enjoying it.
Then last Wednesday I nursed him for the last time. It wasn't planned, but the following night Alex rocked him when he woke up due to teething pain. Ever since then I haven't needed to nurse him at night. We just pop his soother back in and he stays asleep. I guess he was ready just as much as I was.
I've heard and read a few experiences where moms found the weaning process really hard. I was scared of the day Calvin would no longer need to breastfeed, but I was really surprised at how much we were both ready to be done. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved breastfeeding, just the last couple months have been hit and miss with his biting.
It was such a beautiful experience to watch him grow and thrive on something that came directly from me. And I am so grateful I was able to breastfeed until my goal of 12 months. But it was time. 

9 comments

  1. You gave him the best possible start in life he could have - job well done Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a good post! we are going through something similar to me right now. my baby girl will be one next month and boy these last few months seem really hard on the both of us too I feel your pain with the biting! well done momma on making it to your goal!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chealsey! I totally get where you are coming from!! i hope the transition goes smoothly for you and your little girl!

      Delete
  3. Great job, you did it! You were attentive to the needs your and your baby's needs.
    I am still nursing Gwen 1-2 times a day, but I'm 90% sure that she's done. I don't think she'd be bothered too much if I stopped all together, because she has really come to love her bottles of cow's milk. I guess I do it mostly out of habit and laziness, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bev :) :) When it feels right, it feels right.

      Delete
  4. Isn't it amazing that just when you feel like you're done so do they? Same thing happened with my little girl, it was just time. You did great! 12 months is such an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! I was so happy how smooth it went!!

      Delete
  5. Asher turns one next month and that was my goal for nursing him. And now Jordan and I are going on Pioneer Trek with the youth this summer so I'll have to ween him before our trip. I hope Asher is ready because I sure don't feel ready and I think it might break my heart. Haha

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© These are the days. Design by Fearne.