7.8.13

Chapter 738

The post where I talk on and on about my job.

I knew in April I needed to find a new job, and I needed to do it quickly.
One problem: I hate job hunting.
I find it very hard to "sell myself" and I hate following up.
I applied to quite a few places, and they all said they wanted to hire me.
But for some reason no matter how many times I followed up, they would say they would get back to me.
Now I know what you're thinking:
"They didn't actually wanted to hire me"
I know for a fact 3 places wanted me on their teams, desperately.
Yet none of them were working out.

Then in May I thought that maybe the reason why they weren't hiring me, was because I wasn't supposed to leave Payless.
And right when I was thinking this our Assistant Manager had an emergency and had to move to Brockville.
So applied to be the Assistant manager.
I had been with the company for 4 years and needed the hours.
I was never "passionate" about working at Payless, but since I'm not a huge fan of change, working at the same job would be less stressful.

After a few weeks of nothing from the district manager, I was getting frustrated and all together bitter towards the company.
Then out of a nowhere I read a friends Facebook status about applying to Target.
I applied immediately and was invited to attend the job fair later the following week.
Target is just opening in Canada, so they have locations all over Ottawa that are hiring.

I expected to be at the job fair for 10 minutes (that's how long all my other friends were there for).
3 interviews, and 2 hours later I had a job offer.
I applied as just a regular sales associate, but they wanted to be a merchandiser.
Higher pay, regular hours, and a smaller team.
I was completely shocked!

Fast forward to 3 months later, and I am loving my job.
Everyone started work 2 weeks ago to set up the shelves and displays.
This week we started getting product in the store.
It's kind of like our baby.
When we first got the keys to store it was empty.
Now it's slowly starting to look like a store.
Our store.

I know for a fact that the reason why all the other jobs didn't work out was because I was meant to work at Target.
To some it may seem like a typical retail job, but it's not.
For once in my life I look forward to going to work, I am learning so much, and I am surrounded by incredible people, who genuinely care.
It's refreshing.

Bekah

4 comments

  1. CONGRATS! That is so awesome. I"m glad you love your job! Slash, where do you live sweet lady? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Also, is there anywhere better than Target? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. goodness, so awesome. i love target.
    and im job hunting, and its slowly killing my soul.
    im the worst at meeting new people, interviewing...you are lucky.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Target is the most amazing place ever invented! So jealous of you. Congrats(:

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© These are the days. Design by Fearne.